Thursday, January 7, 2010

Can I substitute venison in any beef recipe and it still taste good? My Hus is a hunter, but in the past I?

have only really used the ground meat in spaghetti and meatloaf and such and given the rest away to friends (I know!) because I really don't know what to do with this stuff. You guys have given me a couple of recipes, but I feel really insecure using the meat. Help!Can I substitute venison in any beef recipe and it still taste good? My Hus is a hunter, but in the past I?
Almost all slow-cook recipes for beef or lamb will do well with venison. Aside from the slow-cook requirement, be aware that the venison (at least what I get) is quite low-fat. Depending on the recipe, techniques like browning in bacon fat, barding with bacon or adding diced pancetta are often winners at our table.





(There are other things to do with venison other than slow-cook but they require more attention and care.)





Venison is particularly good with dark sauces (port wine reductions, juniper berry flavored, etc.) and also particularly good with mushrooms.





You can fix any slow-cook meat recipe in any covered container, there is no reason to go out and buy a roasting pan except for scale -- that is, if your biggest covered dish isn't big enough. Yours might not be ideal but don't sweat it.Can I substitute venison in any beef recipe and it still taste good? My Hus is a hunter, but in the past I?
You can use it like you would round steak because it's tougher than beef since it has very little fat. So I would braise it or roast it.





To roast it, as I do with a beef roast, I sear it first with a little flour on it (to help the gravy later). Then I add a mixture of black coffee (regular or decaf), some soy sauce, black pepper and water. Pour it over and around the roast until it is about 1/3 of the way up the roast. Put the lid on and roast at 350潞 until it is very tender (varies on size). The coffee and soy sauce work as a tenderizer and make it nice and tender and it makes the gravy a very nice rich dark color.





Hope it helps.
Try pre-soaking the venison in buttermilk a few hours, or overnight, it will tenderize it and take away most of the wild gamey taste and smell.
********VENISON STROGANOFF


4 c. meat cut in 1/4x1/4x1 1/2 inch strips (no fat) (if beef, use cheapest cut available)


1 c. chopped onions


2 c. sliced undrained canned mushrooms


2 cans beef stock or consomme


2 tbsp. flour


1 tsp. salt


Dash of nutmeg


2 c. sour cream


butter


Cook onions in butter in skillet until done. Separately, brown meat in butter, do not overcook. Combine meat, onions and mushrooms. Cook 10 minutes. Add consomme and cook 30 minutes.


Mix flour and seasonings with sour cream and add to mixture. Cook slowly about 2 hours or so. Serve over rice or noodles.
Oh my, I wish I had your problem. I would love some venison right now.





Steaks that provide some sauce like...steak onglet (hanger steak) would be lovely with venison. There are also some really lovely venison dishes in Italian cooking.





Love the venision..you have no idea how lucky you are! If you like substitution, then you should really look at lamb recipes rather than beef, with the caveat that cooking times need to be shorter, and you need to add more oil.
yes you can and if you like venison you will like this way much better than beef. sounds tasty to me!
yes and no.maybe, it depends

No comments:

Post a Comment